Thursday, March 15, 2012

I am nothing. What a relief.


3/5/2012
Galatians 6:3- “If anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.”

Interpretation: This reminds me of a verse Jordan and I read on the plane ride to Montana. Proverbs 12:9- “Better to be a nobody and yet have a servant than pretend to be somebody and have no food.” Why do we pretend to be something when we are nothing? Well, frankly, because everything that I have I have worked so hard for. Oh, wait, James 1:17 says “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.” Well I only have those good and perfect gifts because I have had such great faith that I was going to receive them. Only, Ephesians 2:8 says, “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.” Okay. Well these things I have I deserved. Except 1 Corinthians 4:7 says, “For what makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not?” So why do we think that we are something when we are nothing? Nothing that we have makes us different from anyone else, we didn’t do anything on our own to require it and we didn’t even supply our own faith to receive the gifts we have from our gracious God.

Application: Tonight I will write out a list of things God has done for me since I have been here. I want to reflect on these to remind myself that I am nothing, and God is everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment