Monday, January 23, 2012

IBS: Common Denominator = God

1/10/2012

Acts 2:44- "All the believers were together and had everything in common."

Interpretation: God brought me and eight other believers to the Potter's Field Missionary Ranch, where we get to live and grow together. I know that God had a purpose when he called us all out here, even including Anthony who was only here for a short time. Looking at the eight of us it is clear to see that we don't have everything in common, because we're all coming from different states, households, and walks of life; but I do see that where it counts- we share common beliefs, plans, and goals. Having everything in common doesn't mean that we are all the exact same, but that we can relate where it really matters. The believers and the apostles came from different backgrounds, but there differences were set aside and they united through the Holy Spirit in the study of teachings, in fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayer. It is awesome how God brings people together for his purposes. God blessed me with a group of friends at home who I love, but our differences would often dominate our relationships. Here, although we all have different stories, we are unified through Christ, and when the things that we have in common are on the basis that we are all serving the same God, God can use us and will use us for truly awesome things. It is freeing to know that in a world where the only thing people seem to have in common is war, division, and separation, God has called us to set those things aside, and unite under his love. Jesus prayed in John 17:20-21 for all believers, "My prayer is not for them alone (the disciples). I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be as one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me." This is Jesus' prayer for us 2,000 years ago, and it's coming alive right before our eyes.

Application: I need to ask other people what it is that I can pray for them about, in this way adding to the trust and unity in our relationships and continuing to allow opportunities for them to open up, strengthening this little body of believes in truth and God's love.

No comments:

Post a Comment