Monday, January 23, 2012

IBS: True Devotion

1/7/2012

Acts 2:42 - "They devoted themselves to the apostles teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread, and to prayer."

Interpretation: There was time being devoted to the apostle's teaching, and there was fellowship and breaking of bread and prayer. This just reminds me of why we are truly here at the ranch. Here we are devoting ourselves to all of these same things for the same reasons. I like how the word "devoted" is used. The definition of devoted is dedicated, but what stuck out more was the second definition, "feeling or displaying strong affection or attachment." It's not just that we are here to learn the word and grow in our walks with the Lord but it's about our affection for him that controls the amount of effort we put into following the teachings, having fellowship with one another, breaking bread, and prayer. I like the idea of being devoted to prayer, going back to the definition of "devote," meaning I want to have a love and desire and affection for it, for the blessing of being able to do it with the fellowship of others my age for the first time in my life.

Application: I want to continue to focus all of my desires on what God has for me here, and take advantage of the fellowship and ability to break bread, or study the Bible, and the time of prayer we can have by devoting myself. I want to do this by doing the 60 day overview of the Bible daily reading and continuing to pray with my roommates daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment