Sunday, February 5, 2012

Gifts


1/23/2012
1 Corinthians 12:1- “Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.”

Interpretation: Whoa, whoa, whoa, what! Spiritual gifts? I admit this took me for an embarrassingly exciting surprise because I am totally ignorant about spiritual gifts. Paul is writing to the church in Corinth, a church with some Jews but mostly ex-pagan Gentiles. Paul names the spiritual gifts all given by the same Holy Spirit in v. 8-10; wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miraculous powers, prophecy, discernment of spirits, speaking in tongues, and interpretation of tongues. Paul is telling the struggling church in Corinth to not remain ignorant, or unknowledgeable or unaware of the gifts of the Spirit. He is telling a church 2,000 years ago to not be ignorant of the gifts of the Spirit, and here we are reading it today as timeless advice. I guess we should be more aware of these gifts and how to properly receive them and use them to give full glory to God when they are manifested. I’m so glad we’re doing this.

Application: I will pray today for God to begin to reveal the gifts of the Spirit he has given me in my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment