Thursday, February 23, 2012

Reckon the old man dead


2/22/2012
Proverbs 31:6- “Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish.”

Interpretation: I don’t believe, due to the context of the rest of the Bible, that God is implying here that instead of handing out money and food to the homeless people on the city streets of Boston, we should go and buy them a 6 pack or a cheap bottle of wine. This verse is the proposition of a young king’s mother for him to understand that he shouldn’t be drinking while in rule; it is her telling him to leave the sin for the sinners. She has already told him that it is not for kings to get drunk, lest they forget what the law decrees and deprive someone of their rights. As someone who desires to be a true disciple of Christ, I have decided not to drink a sip of alcohol while being age 21, lest I set aside the grace that God gave me and put out of mind the importance of the call he has placed on my life, and miss an opportunity to be used by him even for just one night. It is not a good thing that my friends who don’t understand God’s love drink alcohol, but it would be even worse if I, who has been saved by grace, went on to continue drinking and living like someone who is perishing or in anguish. That would lower my effects to be used as a witnessing tool for building the Kingdom of God. This scripture doesn’t mean that I should buy my friends drinks or condone their actions in any way, but is there for more of a reminder to me that I need to leave the sin for the sinners, those who don’t know Christ and thus know no different way of life. My life is being radically changed and it would send out a mixed message and gigantic stumbling block for my friends to see Christ’s beauty in my life if I continued to live in the way that they live. God calls us to be holy and set apart, and so that is what I desire for myself.

Application: I will go through my pictures on facebook and delete any photo of me drinking alcohol in the past. It is not a correct representation of who I am any longer, falsely portrays the joy of a life being lived only for Christ, and doesn’t show my life as sanctified. I am friends with younger kids and family and don’t want to be seen as a hypocrite, even if the pictures are old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment