Wednesday, June 6, 2012

John the Baptist


3/18/2012
Matthew 11:2- “When John heard in prison what Christ was doing, he sent his disciples…”

Interpretation: John the Baptist was in prison because king Herod wanted to be with his brother Philip’s wife Herodias and John was saying that it was unlawful. John had been prophesying about Jesus the messiah and was in jail when he heard the news about the things that Christ was doing.  He had gained a gathering of followers whom he sent to ask Jesus if he was the one who was to come or not. It is interesting that John still had followers even though he was in jail. It implies that although he was imprisoned, even for something he was not truly guilty for, he never stopped preaching and prophesying. He was still very concerned with what Jesus was doing and his disciples were faithful enough to stick by him and to go where they sent him. I think about when I feel like I am in prison. When I have been condemned and found at fault by the world even though all I have been doing is speaking the truth. When I feel beaten down, do I slow down? John the Baptist’s head was eventually cut off and presented to the king on a silver platter. Am I willing to risk my neck for the truth? And do I love enough to have my friends stick by me even when I am looking like a culprit to the world though I am simply trying to be an advocate for the truth?

Application: Satan can lock me up in a mental prison where I can find myself feeling hopeless and weak. It is important for me, like John the Baptist, to find out even more of what Jesus is doing so I can stay strong and even grow more in my faith. In the morning I will spend the time I would be doing my IBS writing in my journal to God, doing my other devotional book, and in prayer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment