Thursday, June 7, 2012

Oh Paul


May 7, 2012
1 Corinthians 1:16- “Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.”

Interpretation: Paul didn’t come to baptize but to preach the gospel, which he shares in the next verse, but here he shares who he has baptized. Along with Crispus and Giatus who he said he baptized in verse 14, Paul now makes the statement that he can’t remember if he baptized anyone else. I think about when I was baptized, I remember the day and the names of the two pastors who did it. It was important to me because it was something exciting and felt like a milestone in the journey. But Paul in these verses is exhorting the church in Corinth to be united under Christ, instead of divided under men. Paul baptized people because it was a command from God (Matthew 28:19- “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit…”), not because he was trying to gain or accomplish anything for himself, especially not followers or people who would make him into an idol and would fall away from the body of Christ to be a worshipper of man.

Application: Tonight I will do my other daily devotional book that I haven’t touched in a week to get more of God’s word in me to understand what he wants me to do and who he wants me to be IN HIM.

No comments:

Post a Comment