Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Who?


3/20/2012
Matthew 11:3- “…To ask him, ‘Are you the one who was to come, or should we expect someone else?’”

Interpretation: John the Baptist wanted his disciples to go and ask Jesus if he was the one who was to come, or, if they should expect someone else. Wait, wasn’t John the one to baptize Jesus in the Jordan River? Wouldn’t John have been there to see the Holy Spirit come down upon Jesus like a dove and heard a voice from heaven saying, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased”? Interesting that John knew Jesus was the one whom God sent, yet he continued to ask and seek confirmation. I know and believe that Jesus is the way, and the truth, and the life. I know things like how God has a plan for my life and they are plans to prosper me and not to harm me, plans to give me a hope, and a future, but sometimes I want extra confirmation to these things. I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing, but I also want to make sure that I don’t put God into a box where he needs to reveal things to me my way. Matthew 13:58, in reference to Jesus, says, “And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.”  I understand that we want signs and we want confirmation, but sometimes I think I can be too close to a situation in order to see it clearly for what it is. Here John the Baptist wanted to make sure Jesus was who he claimed to be, even though he already knew in his heart that he was the one who was to come. It is reassuring to me that Jesus answered the disciples and didn’t get upset for them asking. Jesus didn’t mind John wanting the extra confirmation.

Application: Sometimes I want confirmation in my heart on things. There are a few things that are on my heart that I want confirmation about, and will be praying about throughout my day. I will confide in someone with these things for more prayer, and seek answers in God’s word knowing I will find peace in his will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment